More Information

Disagreement Resolution

Disagreement resolution aims to resolve disagreements in a quick and informal way, using a trained and independent mediator to help the parties find a solution.

The use of disagreement resolution services is voluntary and has to be with the agreement of all parties.

This service is available to help resolve disagreements about:

  • how the early years setting, school, college or local authority is carrying out its education, health and care duties for children and young people with special educational needs. This can include any of the SEN duties – not just those concerning EHC needs assessments or EHC plans.
  • the provision that the early years setting, school, or college is making. This applies to children and young people with any kind of SEND, not just those going through an EHC needs assessment or with an EHC plan.
  • the health or social care provision during an EHC needs assessment, while EHC plans are being drawn up or reviewed, while awaiting an appeal or when children or young people are being reassessed. In these cases the disagreement will be with the local authority or Health, rather than the early years setting, school, or college.

Useful Links

When people can’t agree – Special Educational Needs and Disability Complaints (