More Information


Protecting children and young people is everybody's responsibility.

  • Adults have a responsibility to report concerns about a child or young person.
  • Consider offering some support if you are worried., and it is appropriate to do so.
  • If in any doubt whatsoever, share your concerns with either another adult, or a professional.
  • Reporting concerns rarely leads to a child being removed.
  • Act now - long-term abuse is damaging for children and young people.
  • All parents/carers experience difficulties at various times that can be helped by other family members or close friends.

If someone you know is having difficulties, you could offer the following:

  • A listening ear.
  • Ideas to cope with problems.
  • Encouragement to get some help.
  • Practical support (childcare/shopping).

However there may be times when a child or young person may be at risk of harm and professional support is needed.

It is best to take action early to stop things getting worse. Long-term abuse is much more likely to cause problems for a child or young person as they get older. Even if you think an incident is just a one off, other professional agencies may already have concerns about the child or young person. Therefore, your information could be very important. You can discuss your concerns in confidence with a police officer, a health visitor, school nurse, social worker or any other professional working with the child, young person or family. They will then make a decision as to what will happen next.

If you have any safeguarding concerns about a child or young person, then please ensure you contact CHAD.